Wednesday, August 21, 2013

A Little Bit About Me...Ted Spilsbury



What does the everyday funeral director do to escape?  By this I mean, working every day in the funeral business would seem to be a bit overwhelming...around grief and sadness day after day.  Someone might ask, “How could you stand it?”  Quite frankly, helping people is a wonderful profession, but, yes, the funeral director needs a break.  I remember back as I was growing up that there was never time for a break.  My dad took the business with him everywhere.  The business was small with one secretary, one custodian, one embalmer, one funeral director, one person to transport and another to constantly answer the phone.  Yes, you guessed it.  The one person was Mr. Spilsbury himself and the other, Mrs. Spilsbury, my mother, who was always answering the telephone.

            Am I ever glad that those days are gone forever.  Today, you might say that I have it soft.  I am blessed to have a large staff and modern technology that has made it possible to transfer telephones to the on-call funeral director’s cell phone.  Well, the business is not so personally demanding as it once was, but still and all an escape or diversion is very necessary.

            For some, it is the golf course.  For others, it is jogging 10 miles a day.  Jogging 50 miles a week will take your mind off of any business.

            As for me, I run a ranch, “Spilsbury Land and Livestock.” It is the greatest escape.  In the summer, the cattle are on Kolob Mountain, and the fences need to be repaired every year.  It affords great exercise and good company – Mother Nature.

            There is time to sit under an oak or aspen tree, eat lunch, usually consisting of a hearty ham sandwich and a package of Ding Dongs.  It’s a time for me to ponder and express appreciation.  In the winter, the cattle are at Sand Mountain, next to Sand Hollow Reservoir.  Every week, I need to pump water.  When it is cold, I first have to chip the ice, and believe it or not, I once again enjoy Mother Nature.

            For this funeral director, running a hundred head of range cattle is the best relaxation in the world.  Besides, if one pays attention, one can learn a great deal about life and raising children from the cattle and working out-of-doors. Seasons, vegetation, patterns, characteristics, and nurturing are very much a part of the animal world.

            After about three days on the mountain, I am ready to get back to the profession.  My profession and my hobby both bring great happiness and fulfillment to my life.

1 comment:

  1. Greetings, Mr. Spilsbury!
    I just received an email with the picture of your beautiful statue, "Come to Me". That prompted me to go online and read about its genesis, including the artist and the spiritual vehicle he used...YOU! Such a great story that is certainly having a ripple effect of promoting spirituality and relationship with the Lord more than a decade later. Just wanted you to know that in addition to that, I most enjoyed reading the above thoughts on your life and career. Having lived a few years in Wyoming, I was right there with you as you described your ranch and how meaningful your time is when you are there. Life happens to be a bit stressful for me right now, but reading your words inspired me to take a breath, close my eyes and just BE in the moment. With that, I think that when you are under the tree having finished your ham sandwich, you should consider writing a book on your life experience! Seriously, I have read some of what you have already written and watched something that was posted on YouTube where you speak of the statue. I was thinking, "Gee, I would like to grab a cup of coffee and hear/read more about this interesting and wonderful man with a great heart!" I also perused your thoughts on organ donation and you are right, no one ever talks about the details involved, so I was educated as well as entertained here...who would think I would get all that from a funeral home website?!?! Until I see your book on the shelves, I will pray for continued success in making those "spiritual ripples" as well as time to relax from your life's work. I've enjoyed my visit here! All the best to you,
    Kathy / Cleveland, Ohio

    ReplyDelete