Wednesday, August 21, 2013

The Role of the Funeral Director

            Funeral Directors, to me, are heroes...professionals who serve from their hearts.  They are kind, gentle, and loving – minutemen/women who respond promptly any time of the day or night. They present themselves with confidence, compassion, and sincerity.  They are a select few who are seldom recognized for their veracity and endurance. They seldom are the recipients of community awards or notoriety.  Nevertheless, they are true heroes to each and every family going through the humbling and painful trials of death.  The tender mercies of our hometown Funeral Directors do not go unnoticed.  It radiates in their countenance as they tenderly serve.

            Most everyone has a sacred spot in their heart for the one who gently leads them through the overwhelming experience of death of a loved one.  For me, my first encounter with death was at age seven.  My nine year old sister fell from a converted Studebaker funeral coach.  The top was cut off and Dad, the small town Funeral Director, moonlighted as a tour guide for St. George’s 1st Dixie Sun Bus.  Well, to make a long story short, my sister fell from the Dixie Sun Bus and was killed as the family was returning home from the Washington County Fair.  In my memory, this event was the most vivid reality of my childhood.  I remember how devastated Mother was, and I remember all those who came to console our family, especially my mother.  I also remember Dad in the background, attending to his daughter’s tender care.

            For many years, I wondered if Mother  would ever go through a day without crying.  It wasn’t until later that I realized the heartache of Dad.  Not only was his heart broken, but his role was to console and gently lead his family back to a more peaceful time. This experience, I am certain, validated to my father the divine role of the Funeral Director.

            We all experience life’s memorable moments, some delightful and fun, some shattering and painful.  In the midst of it all, we remember those who share the joy and those who help us bear the sorrow.

            As a Funeral Director, I have followed in my father’s footsteps.  I, like he, have felt the  warmth within as the validation of the loving Funeral Director is acknowledged.  When we, as Funeral Directors, experience within our own families the pain of death, we realize what an important role we play in society.

            Writing this article has been healing for me.  I share this in fond memory of my dear departed father, LeGrande Spilsbury, who passed away in 2003.

            I am pleased to serve as a Funeral Director, and express my appreciation for all who have chosen this honorable profession.

                                                                                    

No comments:

Post a Comment