Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Sympathy, Empathy & Appreciation

          When death comes to your own, the reality is much more painful than what we might have imagined.  I guess that the “fire down the street” is far enough away that the heat is hardly felt...and such is life.  Unless we are directly closely associated or connected, the tragedy, heartaches, and sorrows in others’ lives are ofttimes hardly noticed.  For example, the war in Iraq doesn’t seem so severe unless your sons, daughters, or grandchildren are serving in the 222nd.  This past Thanksgiving, Vivian and I were grateful to spend it with our nephew, Josh (who was home on leave), and his family.  How pleased we were to see him, to hug him, to squeeze him, and express our love and best wishes.  Happy/sad moments!

            This past week, Bill Hunt, my former ranch foreman for Spilsbury Land & Livestock, passed away.  Good grief, what a tender moment!  Feelings of appreciation mixed with fond memories...another happy/sad occasion.  In addition, this past week I was severely injured in a horse accident.  I’m going to survive, but nonetheless, I’m once again filled with greater appreciation for good health, and the pain-free life I have enjoyed in the past.

            As I reflect on reality, how insignificant my life is in the worldwide perspective of things.  I could easily come to feel unimportant and minuscule.  But, the truth of the matter is that it really doesn’t matter, except to those few with whom we are connected, and it makes a world of difference to them –  the way we feel, our pain, our tragedies, and our joys.  Whether our support group is large or small, the impact is very much the same.

            In the funeral business, I am one who understands that when “the sky is falling”  those whom I am serving, need a tender, loving shelter, a listening ear, a shoulder to lean on, and kind and gentle words.
                                                                                                                                   
            During the holidays, things seem to be magnified.  This past Saturday, we hosted our annual “Embracing the Holidays” program.  It was exceptional!  Maureen and Dr. Craig Booth, Floyd Rigby, and Duane Lamoreaux were the speakers, and all seemed to be in tune, with chosen words to comfort and bring peace to grieving hearts.  We also enjoyed beautiful music from The Heritage Choir.
           
            I would like to extend to you my holiday greeting, an Indian Blessing: “May the Great Spirit bless you, your home, and those you love, with peace and happiness.”

Sincerely,


Ted Spilsbury

No comments:

Post a Comment